Friday, April 18, 2008

hot dogs go home at night

wow. i had a big night of learning.
on my way home from Danish Films with English Subtitles night at the DFI , I saw this:


then i realized:



but i also wondered:



and lucky me, my guy was there. but he told me he is going to vacation to Juttland, or moving there. i couldn't really tell. i hope he comes back. he said he owns three carts and works everyday. his wife died 4 years ago and the dog stands are kind of his life. the one i saw heading home is part of his fleet. and he will actually speak a little bit of danish with me, which is really cool. i had a medister.

4 comments:

Tyler said...

those hot dog stands are the real deal! it would be great to tour with one. get a partner and travel the country with a dog stand and a scooter. what do you say susie?

Anonymous said...

your love of the hot dog, its stands and its vendors is sweet...srb

Unknown said...

if you want to become a real hotdog fan Susie, you need to learn the proper code language for the different hotdog variations.
The official names on the menu are only to distinguish between lightweight tourists and genuine hot dog lovers.
So here is an introduction to the slang:
the owner of a hot dog stand: "skinkekaptajn" (a ham captain)
a hot dog stand: kødkutter (a meat cutter)
a red sausage with bred: "en finger med kage" (a finger with cake)
a traditional hotdog:
"En død indianer i kano med hele krigsmalingen" (a dead indian in a cano with the whole war paint)
a sausage wrapped in bacon: "et skinkesøm i spaendetrøje" (a ham nail in a straitjacket)

there are many more, but I cant remember them.
good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with the hot dog-man. run away, hot dog...man.
I'll run and catch you because you're slow because you eat too many hot dogs. I'm gonna get'chew' and eat you up.

heart,
hot dog...lady